False Creek Elementary School
Parent Advisory Council
PAC Meeting Monday, January 17th, 2011
The regular meeting of the Parent Advisory Council was called to order at 6:05 pm on January 17th, 2011 by George Affleck.
George Affleck, Larissa Warrington, Bruce Murton, Erin Cathcart, Rob Hastings, Wendy Teufele, Lesley McKnight, Susan Efting, Tristesse Seeliger, Gail Taylor, Chloe Sample, Manesha Decosas
2. Approval of Agenda
Motion to approve: Susan, 2nd : Larissa: Carried.
3. Approval of Minutes
Meeting Minutes from November 22nd, 2010. Moved: Gail, 2nd Larissa: Carried.
4. Business Arising From Minutes
No new business
a. Principal’s Report (see attached)
Issues arising from Principal’s Report:
-reminder to report any diesel smells from the construction.
-construction is on schedule
-discussion that resulted in a reminder that parents can opt their children out of taking the FSA tests
b. Staff requests
-request for $200 from Ms. G for Knitting Club Motion: Larissa, 2nd Chloe (with the condition that the parents will be trying to help brainstorm some ways to get more supplies): Carried. ACTION: Larissa (and anyone else who wishes to pursue it) will approach some local knitting clubs and stores to check out possible donations to the Knitting Club.
-request from Ms. G for $195.62 for watercolour and fabric paints, coloured clay and other extra art supplies. Motion: Manesha; 2nd Tristesse; Carried.
c. Treasurer’s report (see attached)
-The Shortylist (Larissa)
-this is a communications tool that allows schools to market themselves to the general public. The school can say a few words about the school, with the idea that we would keep our enrollment number up. This service is offered free of charge, but is a commercial site. The question is whether we support the idea of promoting the school. George will send a link out to everyone to have a look and discuss further next meeting.
-the Christmas card sales were very successful, but the suggestion was made that other options might be preferable due to Christmas cards being less commonly used. The possibility of calendars and thank-you cards were raised.
– there are 6 awards available for groups of children who have ideas about projects to green their communities (The Generation Green Awards, Vancouver Foundation). Applications for ideas are due on March 4th. Manesha has expressed interest in working in classrooms to investigate kids’ ideas. Tristesse also mentioned an idea related to solar panels that she is exploring at the school where she works and she will let us know more about that initiative.
-Michelle has sent another email asking if it is alright to put up posters and send a notice home regarding her Facebook site (ReClaim), which operates as an online thrift store and offers a small donation to our school. The PAC has no problem with this.
f. Volunteer (PAC)
g. Sports and Recreation
– Run Jump Throw update
– Cotter is attending a workshop for this BC Athletics program on two upcoming Saturdays. This will provide her with certification, which allows her to teach the program. We then need to purchase the equipment bag that corresponds with the program. Ms. Cotter felt that she might be able to acquire the equipment at a lower cost by putting the bag together herself. More information to come on this issue.
-Hip Hop update
-we have a date: February 28th to March 4th. The instructor will come every day and work with every division. This will result in a presentation sometime the following week. Motion for the PAC to subsidize $2.50/child for the program: Rob, 2nd Susan. Carried.
-Dragon Boating update
-none at this time.
-Motion for the PAC to subsidize the program by a total of $500: Wendy, 2nd Gail Carried.
-Skate night is January 28th, 2011. It will be busy and we should encourage families to bring their own skates. We will provide hot chocolate and donuts (approximately $300).
New Business (tabled)
Motion to adjourn: Larissa, 2nd Susan. Carried.
The Meeting was adjourned at 7:32 pm. The next meeting will be February 21, 2011 at 6:00 pm.
Next meetings: February 21st, 2011, April 18th, 2011, May 16th, 2011, June 6th, 2011.
Minutes submitted by: Lesley McKnight